Cyprus: 3-572-2052-781

Go Back   ISPsystem.com Forums > ISPmanager > Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #1

nilocj.d is on a distinguished road
Default Spamassassin

Hi,

I've been given the responsibility of looking after a VPS belonging to one of our clients. This VPS has ISP Manager 4.3 Professional installed. The VPS is Debian Lenny with Exim4 as the MTA and Dovecot dealing with POP3.

The problem is that although spamassassin is apparently activated on the main mailbox (according to the control panel), my client is getting approximately 4000 spams a day and looking at the exim logs it seems none are being bounced.

Any advice on making spamassasin blocks spams would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
ISPsystem team

slava is on a distinguished road

Spamassassin is not spam blocker. It mark messages "as spam" or "is not spam". User need configure email client (MUA) for sorting spam messages to own "Junk" folder.

For effective spam blocking please use Greylisting and DNSBL lists such as bl.spamcop.net and zen.spamhaus.org, you can enable it in the Server configuration - Features and Spam protection - Dnsbl block lists menus
Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #3

nilocj.d is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for your response. I've added the DNS blacklists as you suggested and that's working great. Now that I've added the DNS blacklists, mails are going through the Exim spam router which they weren't doing before.

I actually do use spamassassin to block mail on other servers I manage using acl_data in the exim4-daemon-heavy package to pass mails to spamd, get back the score and block anything over a user defined threshold - it is possible

Thanks for your help.
Closed Thread