US: 1-941-4621-069

Cyprus: 3-572-2052-781

Go Back   ISPsystem.com Forums > ISPmanager > General technical discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #1

VPSNoob is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to VPSNoob Send a message via Skype™ to VPSNoob
Default New Setup: Command Line vs ISPManager

Ok so I'm new to ISPManager Pro. I managed to successfully install it on an Ubuntu x64 server. I have some experience setting up a server from the command line but not a lot (I learned some things from vpsbible.com).

In any case, I am confused on a few things. I'll list them below:

1) The root user. Why can't I disable it or delete it when logged in as another superuser? I've tried pressing the lightbulb to disable and/or delete. The confirmation windows come up, I press OK and nothing happens. Should I go in and disable from the command line?

2) IPtables. Why are there no configurations for port numbers? Is this again something I have to change at the command line? I heard that hackers love port 22 for SSH for example. Changing it to another random 5 digit number is a good idea as I understand it.

3) I know I can install software/modules from ISPM but can I do software upgrades from ISPManager? Or are those better done from the command line also? I went to install NGINX and notice its not even the current stable version. Do I install nginx separately on command line to current version? How about other upgrades such as the kernel (I use Ksplice for that), PHP and

4) How do I get or know for certain that NGINX is acting as my webserver and not apache? I really don't want apache for anything but as I understand it some other programs need it. I just dont want it to be my webserver.

All in all, are changes at the command line going to screw up ISPManager or will it adopt?
VPSNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
ISPsystem team

vian is on a distinguished road

1) You cannot disable 'root' user.
2) ISPmanager does not support such a feature, but you can do it manually.
3) ISPmanager do not upgrade installed OS also it only installs software that your OS's repository supports.
4) If nginx acts as a frontend it will use 80 port at the same time apache will use other port, smth like 8080.

In any case ISPmanager will adopt any changes you will do.
vian is offline   Reply With Quote