US: 1-941-4621-069

Cyprus: 3-572-2052-781

Go Back   ISPsystem.com Forums > VMmanager > General discussion

Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #1

psybox is on a distinguished road
Default VDS manager - whats the difference?

Hi

Whats the difference between the three versions?

- vds manager
- vds manager SMP
- vds manager linux

We run quad core servers (linux) and I'm confused as to how the licensing costs differ.

thanks
psybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
ISPsystem team

slava is on a distinguished road

VDSmanager and VDSmanager-SMP are for FreeBSD 6.3 i386 system only. SMP - for Symmetric Multiprocessing hardware. (Core Duo, Core Quard proccessors for example). It uses our own virtualization technology and own system kernel modified by ISPsystem.

VDSmanager Linux is a graphical interface for popular virtualization technology, such as OpenVZ, VServer and Xen.
We recommend you to use OpenVZ.

For VDSmanager-Linux you need server with minimal installation CentOS Linux 5.3 (base system and yum packet manager) and after run install.sh script choose OpenVZ.
Disk partition table before installation you need create as / - 4-8Gb and /vz - other system for VPS files and disk template or one (/ partition).

After installation you can manage VPS servers via graphical web-interface and install other Linux guest operation systems from templates (CentOS, Debian, Gentoo, etc ...) into VPS.

Last edited by tanya; 06-11-2009 at 09:49 AM.
slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #3

psybox is on a distinguished road

thanks - currently we use hypervm for this. Can I acheive the following?

- install vdsmanager-linux in a VPS (so we and clients can access it at http://xyz.com)
- transfer current hypervm VPS into the vdsmanager linux? (allopenvz but running as hypervm slaves)
psybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
ISPsystem team

For VDSmanager Linux you need dedicated server with clear installation CentOS Linux.
See my last message.
For transfer data from old server you need create VPSes in the new system and move data.
Users can login to https://main-node/manager/vdsmgr with login as primary ip-address and root user password for manage own servers (such as reboot or reinstall).
For own system users can login by ssh or other tools.

Last edited by tanya; 06-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
ISPsystem team

More information about the migration from HyperVM to VDSmanager-Linux. You can install VDSmanager-Linux manually for work with OpenVZ VPSes which have been already created.

It have six simple steps for OpenVZ system and running VPSes:

1. Download VDSmanager-Linux for your operation system architecture
Code:
wget http://download.ispsystem.com/Linux-cc6/i686/VDSmanager-Linux/install.tgz
or
Code:
wget http://download.ispsystem.com/Linux-cc6/x86_64/VDSmanager-Linux/install.tgz
for 64bit operation system

2. Extract install.tgz to /usr/local/ispmgr/ folder
Code:
tar xzvf install.tgz -C /usr/local/ispmgr/
3. You need running Apache with SSL configured on the server node and add to apache config this line
Code:
Include /usr/local/ispmgr/etc/ispmgr.inc
Note: If you have no running apache with SSL (https://your-server-ipaddress/ must work) you need install and configure it.

4. In the /usr/local/lib/apache/ folder you need create symbol link to module for your apache version, for example you have apache 2.2 running in this node

Code:
cd /usr/local/ispmgr/lib/apache/
ln -s mod_ispmgr.2.2.0.so mod_ispmgr.so
5. Create VDSmanager-Linux config and edit this file

Code:
vim /usr/local/ispmgr/etc/vdsmgr.conf
You need add lines for example

Code:
Virtualization openvz
User admin $1$CP4kKfwb$Z5lge0MUKu1ba1d/OcbNs1
$1$CP4kKfwb$Z5lge0MUKu1ba1d/OcbNs1 - this is blowfish crypted password 'admin'

6. After then restart apache and try to access VDSmanager by opening following URL in your web-browser:

https://server-ip/manager/vdsmgr

When you open this URL proccess vdsmgr will run through apache

VDSmanager Linux must get information about VE and show this in own interface, we have not tested this, but everything should work correctly, let me know what the result.

Also you can add first line
Code:
LogLevel 9
to vdsmgr.conf (after then restart vdsmgr by killall vdsmgr command and see extended log in the /usr/local/ispmgr/var/vdsmgr.log file.

Last edited by tanya; 06-11-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #6

markb1439 is on a distinguished road

Is Xen fully supported? I know that you recommend OpenVZ, and I believe that some time ago you said that Xen has problems. Is it supported now?
markb1439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

VN-Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
For VDSmanager Linux you need dedicated server whis clear installation CentOS Linux.
See my last message.
For transfer data from old server you need create VPSes in the new system and move data.
Users can login to https://main-node/manager/vdsmgr with login as primary ip-address and root user password for manage own servers (such as reboot or reinstall).
For own system users can login by ssh or other tools.
I just want to confirm - so even if a system has dual or quad core processors, but is on openvz, we would still use VDSmanager-Linux - correct?
VN-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
ISPsystem team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1439 View Post
Is Xen fully supported? I know that you recommend OpenVZ, and I believe that some time ago you said that Xen has problems. Is it supported now?
Xen support is currently being developed, we do not recommend you to use it, it will have full support during 1-2 months.

Last edited by tanya; 06-11-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
ISPsystem team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN-Ken View Post
I just want to confirm - so even if a system has dual or quad core processors, but is on openvz, we would still use VDSmanager-Linux - correct?
Yes, correct, VDSmanager-Linux is only web-interface control panel, it uses OpenVZ system installation from system repository, best way for installation VDSmanager-Linux - Linux CentOS 5.3 (minimal+yum packet manager) and choose OpenVZ virtualization type when you run our install.sh script.

Last edited by tanya; 06-11-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #10

VN-Ken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
Yes, correct, VDSmanager-Linux is only web-interface control panel, it use OpenVZ system installation from system repository, best way for installation VDSmanager-Linux - Linux CentOS 5.3 (minimal+yum packet manager) and choose OpenVZ virtualization type when you run our install.sh script.
Thank you. I saw a previous post saying that your software can be installed on an existing node. I will take that route. It seems to have been used by other companies and they have had success with it.

Our nodes have CentOS 5, 5.1-2 and maybe one node with 5.3. Would this have a large impact on anything?
VN-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote