Media Globe
Default Antivirus + spam

Hey

What about antivirus check in mails. And maybe a spam system
Media Globe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
ISPsystem team

Igor has disabled reputation

no relations between antivirus and control panel. you can install antivirus to your server and use it. antispam the same.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #3

Default Antivirus and Antispam interface

Greetins everybody,
Many widely used control panels like Cpanel and Plesk do have antivirus and antispam interfaces. Although they may require extra payment to enable these features, this is a very useful tool for hosting bussiness. For example, you may enable or disable antivirus/antispam per domain, or mail box. Plesk adds DrWeb antivirus for email protection with domain/mail box level control for $200 per year. I use it on a dedicated server and it works fine.
Spamassassin may be installed for server-wide spam protection. The problem is with antivirus. I don't personally know any good and effective open source, or reasonably priced commercial email antivirus. DrWeb email protection for unlimitted mail boxes, bought directly from their web site sells at a very high price.
You cannot sell hosting srvice without email antivirus protection these days. I think ISPmanager has to add this feature to their product. Or, if you know of a practical and effective way to add this by other ways, please let others know.
Thank you.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #4

alain

Some of our customers use Clamav antivirus (open source software). It is installed for servers and servicies all domains.

Spamassasin+Clamav is a good email protection system. And it does not require any additional settings via control panel.

About comercical software, we should investigate it before answering something.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #5

Default ClamAV

I agree that Spamassain can be installed, configured and used on a server wide basis. It's a well-known and widely used package.

I have Drweb installed on a Red Hat 9 server which serves about 400 hosted web sites, 2500 mail boxes, lots of email traffic. It's excellent. No cpu/ram problems, and it catches all virus/trojan/worms/spyware.

I don't have an experience with ClamAv. I have ClamWin installed on my windows work station, but I cannot rate it, as it does not support real time scanning. I use NOD32 for real time scanning and it does the job.

Can everybody who has experience with CalmAv share their experience and explain how would they evaluate it?

I think this will be useful for anybody who needs to install an antivirus package for email.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:00 PM   #6

Default Clam AV experience

Hello I'm using clamav in our vds and dedicated machines with IspServer. It's a very good system (we can stop every day between 30.000 - 50.000 infected emails).

The only problem that we have with Clam AV is cpu and memory consumes. Some months ago Clam AV use clamd, clamav-milter and fresclam processes, and very frequently some of them crash because system did bad update or haven't enought resources.

But recently, we are using dedicated machines and we have configured only main clamav system (in root system) and then use only a milter process in all vds. This configuration reduce consumes and we have less problems. We have adjust some values in clam configuration, for example, now system only scans emails with little attachments, and now system consume less resources.

Sometimes, we have some problem in vds and Clam stops, but email system continue running (we receive infected emails). Will be good if we can active/desactive clamav system from ispmanager (and test if it's running). Monitoring system must test that clamav-milter process is running (like with apache, mysql, smtp, processes) and restart it if is down.

Spamassassin + ClamAV are very good protection. Now we are using clamav + external spamcop filter. We don't receive any infected email, but we receive a lot of spam in some accounts.

We think that antivirus and antispam services are essential for control panel. Last changes in stmp and qpopper are goods, but everybody needs protections.

Jordi Flores
Dimensis Global Communications
www.dimensis.com
Old 06-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #7

Default ClamAv

Dear Jordi,

Thank you to share your experience here with others.

Unfortunately, ClamAV is not a mature product yet; as you need to restart service when it quits. This may be done using a cron job which checks status of clamav deamon and restarts it when it's not running.

The real problem with ClamAv is that it lacks sufficient and updated virus signatures. See a good recent comparsion of antivirus products here:

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/...p?id=69&mnu=69

From the test results there, Kaspersky earns 99.28% detection, while ClamWin (based on ClamAv) earns 48.44%. I don't think that this would satisfy need of a professional hosting business.

On the other hand, commercial antivirus software is expensive, specially when you want to use it for hundreds, or thousands of email boxes.

A practical solution to use a solid commercial antivirus and pay minimal amount, would be like this:
Get the antivirus you like, just for the minimum mail boxes that it sells for. Now, configure your email so that it delivers all email for all domains to a single email account which is protected by your desired antivirus software. After passing emails through A/V, deliver them to their respective boxes.

I know this is quite possible to be done. Problem is that I cannot write the code necessary to do this!

Hope programmers would pay attention to this and let us know about their efforts!
Old 06-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #8

bakon
Send a message via ICQ to bakon
Default Re: Clam AV experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
But recently, we are using dedicated machines and we have configured only main clamav system (in root system) and then use only a milter process in all vds. This configuration reduce consumes and we have less problems. We have adjust some values in clam configuration, for example, now system only scans emails with little attachments, and now system consume less resources.
Hello Jordi, can you please copy your configuration file?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Spamassassin + ClamAV are very good protection. Now we are using clamav + external spamcop filter. We don't receive any infected email, but we receive a lot of spam in some accounts.
Some options that we have:
Notify senders of viruses = no
Spam List = ORDB-RBL spamcop.net

Do you use the BAYES for SpamAssasin?
bakon is offline   Reply With Quote