US: 1-941-4621-069

Cyprus: 3-572-2052-781

Go Back   ISPsystem.com Forums > ISPmanager > Feedback & Feature Requests

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #1

apryan
Exclamation Feature Request: ISPManager to support running off of LAN IP

This is an offical feature request to give ispmanger the option to support LAN configurations. Currently ispmanager must be on a dedicated system with an external WAN IP address. Using a LAN IP address and tunneling connections to the server will not work as ispmanager must locate the external IP address associated with the license.

What I am suggesting will bring more business to your company. Several business's use LAN configurations for server management and only peer ports that need to interact with the outside world. I would greatly appreciate your department to "seriously" look into this with in the next 2 weeks. I am deploying a series of 20 x 55 Gentoo Linux servers in a closed environment and need to obtain a control panel that can perform very well. I would like to use ispmanager and will even pay for development of such a feature as it is vital.

Please have your owner read over this and have him respond directly to me. I understand that you must have some license verification, however limiting the control panel from communicating on a LAN IP is just not pratical. Please contact me as soon as possible.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #2

Wishmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

We have no technical difficulties with giving such option to ISPmanager. But due to the Licence Policy we are not interested in making our developments unsecure. At this point, we do not have a built-in feature to support LAN.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

apryan

I understand the need to control Licenses. What I am suggesting would not remove the license requirements and/or structure that you currently have set up in ISPManager but to change some very minor "Requirements".

Right now you have a strict requirement that the IP the control panel is licensed to needs to be the "source" address sending to the license server for license verification ---- No problem here. The other requirement is that the IP be added in ifconfig on the server running the control panel and be an active interface with communication directly to the outside world --- Here's where my only problem occurs. Since my server has a LAN IP (192.168.2.9) and communicates to the license server using the licensed IP, shouldn't I be considered to be a "LEGIT" authorized owner of the license??? Why is there such a strict security rule that the IP must be in ifconfig and be able to communicate out off that interface?? This isn't a military source code or anything. We aren't sending 'encrypted' sensitive data to anyone here. It just seems like a little too strict.

Again, opening up the realm of allowing LAN Ip's as being used on the interface while still requiring that the source address for external communication to your license server is still licensed and authenticated would provide your company with more profit. However if you're not willing to look outside that box and still require a very strict ruleset, then I'll give up and not buy your product.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #4

Wishmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a practical reason for our strict policy.

Nobody likes loosing prospective customers, but we cannot understand why we should change anything in our rules. If you've been running a good business, what’s the problem with having public ip addresses on server?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #5

apryan

Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #6

apryan

If someone is asking for such a feature so that they too can use your companies excellent control panel to assist them and their customers, why not? If there is a practical reason, why not compromise with providing some alternative "hack" so that clients can still use your product?

Some businesses "can't" provide IPv4 addressing for their entire IT infrastructure and have to rely on LAN IP schemes with firewall forwards.

Last edited by apryan; 12-06-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #7

apryan

I wanted to follow up and see if you guys had any additional thoughts on this. Thanks in advanced and happy holidays.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #8

apryan

Igor? Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 AM   #9
ISPsystem team

Igor has disabled reputation

So far we have chosen not to change the current license policy

If we decide to do so, we will inform our users about those changes.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #10

apryan
Exclamation

any word yet on when this can be done???
Closed Thread