US: 1-941-4621-069

Cyprus: 3-572-2052-781

Go Back   ISPsystem.com Forums > ISPmanager > General technical discussion

Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #1

markb1439 is on a distinguished road
Default Why I Didn't Choose These Products

Hi,

I spent much of today evaluating these products for (hopeful) use in our new web hosting venture. Although I was very impressed technically and aesthetically, I chose not to use these products for several reasons. I'd like to share those reasons as constructive criticism in hopes that they will help the developer in the future.
  • Market share. No matter how good or bad cPanel is, people want it. Other control panels are gaining ground, for example DirectAdmin and LXAdmin. Even so, ISPmanager seems a distant fourth (if that) in terms of market share and/or brand awareness. I'll have a much easier time attracting clients with a well-known CP than with a much lesser-known, largely unproven one.
  • Third-party add-ons. People want Fantastico, site builders and advanced e-mail spam and virus protection.
  • Billing software compatibility. ISPmanager is only compatible with two applications (AWBS and ClientExec), neither of which is the one I chose to run our business. VDSmanager is only compatible with one of those.
  • Migration. It's much easier for me to attract existing clients from other cPanel web companies thanks to cPanel's site migration features. Of course, we'll need to keep those clients happy so they don't easily migrate elsewhere too.
  • No demo license for VDSmanager Linux. I certainly won't buy it without trying it first.
  • Price. Even at reseller pricing, these products are priced among the highest on the market in terms of control panels. VDSmanager costs about 10 times as much per VDS as HyperVM. There's no way we run a profitable business at those prices.
Having said all of this, I am very sorry that I had to make this choice. This is one of the most impressive control panels I've tested, and definitely the best-looking.

I hope this feedback is helpful to the developers.

Best regards,

MB
markb1439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #2

Wishmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx alot. we do love to hear your advice, support and views. and we will take note of your suggestions, for sure.
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #3

markb1439 is on a distinguished road

Actually, upon further review and evaluation of other products, I have reversed my position. I was lured in by the low prices and features of some other products (HyperVM/LXAdmin, etc.), but then I found their many issues and inconsistent support. So I tried various ISPsystem products again in more detail, and I found that most of my original issues aren't issues at all.

For example:

Sure, other products may have a bigger market share. But if the products are full of bugs and have inadequate support, what good is a big market share? ISPsystem products may be a well-kept secret, but they work and the support is great. During my trials I always got responses very quickly, from various people on the support team (instead of a one-man show like other products).

As for third-party add-ons, I see growth in this area so there is potential.

Regarding billing software compatibility, I had pretty much selected WHMCS until I heard about some of the major issues it's been having (as discussed on WHT...not invoicing some clients and applying credits to others). So I have settled on AWBS, which is compatible with ISPsystem products.

Regarding the lack of a VDSmanager Linux demo license, I was wrong. There is a trial license, it just wasn't listed with the others...you need to request it from support. I've tested the product very successfully now.

As for pricing, I would like to see ISPsystem price their products a bit lower to be competitive. However, I have realized that the one-time licenses can be just as low as other products per VDS, etc.

So my continued research has changed my mind, and I am looking forward to launching a hosting business with ISPsystem products. I am looking forward to giving my clients a clean interface that's easy to use.

I felt it only fair to post again since my opinions have changed.
markb1439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #4

Karl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1439 View Post
Actually, upon further review and evaluation of other products, I have reversed my position. I was lured in by the low prices and features of some other products (HyperVM/LXAdmin, etc.), but then I found their many issues and inconsistent support. So I tried various ISPsystem products again in more detail...
Hi Mark B,

now I'm trying to evaluate/decide between
- DirectAdmin,
- LxAdmin and
- ISPmanager.

I'm just looking for a good control panel software for our dedicated servers. We are not an ISP.

DirectAdmin looks great and easy,
LxAdmin impresses me by the many options it has. It has an impressive list of features.
ISPmanager looks great, clean and professional but lacks some features LxAdmin obviously has.

On the other side nowbody really knows ISPmanager. How long it will be supported?

What could you recommend?

Thanks
Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #5

FilipP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Hi Mark B,

now I'm trying to evaluate/decide between
- DirectAdmin,
- LxAdmin and
- ISPmanager.

I'm just looking for a good control panel software for our dedicated servers. We are not an ISP.

DirectAdmin looks great and easy,
LxAdmin impresses me by the many options it has. It has an impressive list of features.
ISPmanager looks great, clean and professional but lacks some features LxAdmin obviously has.

On the other side nowbody really knows ISPmanager. How long it will be supported?

What could you recommend?

Thanks
Karl
I've tested probably all panels available on the market (including Plesk, cPanel etc.). The ISPmanager looks the most promising and I'm emerging deeply into it's in-built functionality. In December I'll check how you are able to extend it with provided API.

I also want to ask ISPmanger crew what is your roadmap for developing ISPmanager? It's such a pitty it's not opensourced. I'm sure lot of people could contribute to it significantly.

Regards,
Filip.
FilipP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #6

Karl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipP View Post
The ISPmanager looks the most promising...
Hi Filip,

you are absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipP View Post
I also want to ask ISPmanger crew what is your roadmap for developing ISPmanager? It's such a pitty it's not opensourced. I'm sure lot of people could contribute to it significantly.
I agree with you again.

Right now I'm evaluating Virtualmin. I wasn't happy with LxAdmin and DirectAdmin either. I see that Virtualmin is a real great and complex control panel.

I'm afraid of the very small customer base and community of ISPmanager. What should I do if some day this company just disappears? So I decided to stick on Virtualmin. But from the point of GUI and usability ISPmanager is far the best.

Sorry,
Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote