View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #7

Default ClamAv

Dear Jordi,

Thank you to share your experience here with others.

Unfortunately, ClamAV is not a mature product yet; as you need to restart service when it quits. This may be done using a cron job which checks status of clamav deamon and restarts it when it's not running.

The real problem with ClamAv is that it lacks sufficient and updated virus signatures. See a good recent comparsion of antivirus products here:

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/...p?id=69&mnu=69

From the test results there, Kaspersky earns 99.28% detection, while ClamWin (based on ClamAv) earns 48.44%. I don't think that this would satisfy need of a professional hosting business.

On the other hand, commercial antivirus software is expensive, specially when you want to use it for hundreds, or thousands of email boxes.

A practical solution to use a solid commercial antivirus and pay minimal amount, would be like this:
Get the antivirus you like, just for the minimum mail boxes that it sells for. Now, configure your email so that it delivers all email for all domains to a single email account which is protected by your desired antivirus software. After passing emails through A/V, deliver them to their respective boxes.

I know this is quite possible to be done. Problem is that I cannot write the code necessary to do this!

Hope programmers would pay attention to this and let us know about their efforts!