View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 03:26 AM   #1

markb1439 is on a distinguished road
Default Why I Didn't Choose These Products

Hi,

I spent much of today evaluating these products for (hopeful) use in our new web hosting venture. Although I was very impressed technically and aesthetically, I chose not to use these products for several reasons. I'd like to share those reasons as constructive criticism in hopes that they will help the developer in the future.
  • Market share. No matter how good or bad cPanel is, people want it. Other control panels are gaining ground, for example DirectAdmin and LXAdmin. Even so, ISPmanager seems a distant fourth (if that) in terms of market share and/or brand awareness. I'll have a much easier time attracting clients with a well-known CP than with a much lesser-known, largely unproven one.
  • Third-party add-ons. People want Fantastico, site builders and advanced e-mail spam and virus protection.
  • Billing software compatibility. ISPmanager is only compatible with two applications (AWBS and ClientExec), neither of which is the one I chose to run our business. VDSmanager is only compatible with one of those.
  • Migration. It's much easier for me to attract existing clients from other cPanel web companies thanks to cPanel's site migration features. Of course, we'll need to keep those clients happy so they don't easily migrate elsewhere too.
  • No demo license for VDSmanager Linux. I certainly won't buy it without trying it first.
  • Price. Even at reseller pricing, these products are priced among the highest on the market in terms of control panels. VDSmanager costs about 10 times as much per VDS as HyperVM. There's no way we run a profitable business at those prices.
Having said all of this, I am very sorry that I had to make this choice. This is one of the most impressive control panels I've tested, and definitely the best-looking.

I hope this feedback is helpful to the developers.

Best regards,

MB
markb1439 is offline   Reply With Quote