ISPsystem.com Forums

ISPsystem.com Forums (http://forum.ispsystem.com//index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://forum.ispsystem.com//forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   User Move errors with subdomains (http://forum.ispsystem.com//showthread.php?t=2156)

AD7six 10-21-2013 08:27 PM

User Move errors with subdomains

Goal: move a (none-admin) user account from one server to another having multiple email (sub)domains and one web domain with a wildcard subdomain.

Hi,

I'd like to highlight what I think is a bug/limitation with the "user.move" functionality (and a way to get around it.). Maybe this is a known problem but I couldn't find any reference to it.

My Experience was as follows:

1) Create a normal user
2) Log in as normal user
3) Initiate user import
4) "Import user: in progress..."
5) "One or more errors occurred while transferring the user. ..."
6) A log file which contains multiple errors of the form "emaildomain: Failed to restore 'aaa.example.com': Failed to run function emaildomain.edit: code=6 Permission problem . Skip it.

Looking at the log file after this (I've edited it here as it's over a 100 lines long) it contains, in this order:

Code:

Oct 21 11:30:50 emaildomain: Failed to restore 'administrador.example.com': Failed to run function emaildomain.edit: code=6 Permission problem . Skip it.
Oct 21 11:30:50 emaildomain: Failed to restore 'example.com': Failed to run function emaildomain.edit: code=2 Already exists . Skip it.
Oct 21 11:30:51 Restoring 'xxx@administrador.example.com' failed: Failed to run function email.edit: code=3 Not exists . Skip it.
Oct 21 11:30:51 Restoring 'xxx@example.com' failed: Failed to run function email.edit: code=3 Not exists . Skip it.

On the target server after the import - the domain `example.com` did exist but it was not shown to be owned by any user, none of the subdomains had been created.

Trying to think of a way around that, I deleted the user to reinitiate the user import, then recreated the user but before starting created the web and email domain `example.com` assigning it to the relevant user.

The result was a successful import with no errors.

Therefore it would appear (I can provide more log details if necessary but I don't want to do that on a public forum) that due to finding a subdomain before processing the main domain - example.com gets created with incorrect permissions, and thereafter all subdomains fail to import reporting permission errors. From the perspective of the import user everything failed as they can't _see_ `example.com`.

Is there a more appropriate place to submit this information? In any event I hope putting the relevant error messages and solution in one place helps future users.

AD

fly 10-22-2013 08:04 AM

Hello,

I have tried to reproduce the issue. I created email domain "mail.me" and some subdomains. Then I initiated user import. And there were no errors with email domains despite finding a subdomain before processing the main domain.

Oct 22 08:48:46 [38544:0] INFO ... usrparam
Oct 22 08:48:46 [38544:0] INFO ... deletezonesonslaves
Oct 22 08:48:46 [38544:0] INFO ... emaildomain
Oct 22 08:48:46 [38544:0] INFO Restoring 'admin.mail.me'...
Oct 22 08:48:46 [38544:0] INFO Restoring 'boris.mail.me'...
Oct 22 08:48:47 [38544:0] INFO Restoring 'mail.me'...
Oct 22 08:48:47 [38544:0] INFO Restoring 'mail.you'...
Oct 22 08:48:48 [38544:0] INFO ... email

In your log I see the error: Failed to restore 'example.com': Failed to run function emaildomain.edit: code=2 Already exists . Skip it

So, emaildomain exists on new server. That is why example.com and subdomains were not imported.

AD7six 10-22-2013 10:36 AM

Hi fly,

Thanks for the reply and investigating.

I did the same thing to obtain a clean/specific log - and clearly my original conclusion on the cause is incorrect.

However, this was a new install - the domain example.com did not exist until the import was ran for the first time (and I kept deleting it before re-importing). Given how I got importing the subdomains to work, I don't believe that could cause subdomain imports to fail, moreover the contents (web, db and emails) of example.com were imported successfully after creating the domain manually.

I will need to look in /usr/local/ispmgr/var/ispmgr.log to see if I can separate the import entries from other noise - there isn't an obvious indicator to me as to when the main domain entry was created and why it was created with the wrong permissions (belonging to nobody).

I do not own a spare license, otherwise I'd be quite happy to repeat the migration process onto a different machine to pinpoint the actual reason.